Sunday, April 13, 2014

Dentists

I went to the dentist on Friday. Thanks to not having insurance, this was my first visit since getting my wisdom teeth out. Five years ago. Too long a wait? Maybe.

I have this thing about teeth and mouths. I really really hate when things go wrong there, it squicks me out. Cavities, abscesses, broken teeth, the whole thing. Really bugs me. So in response to that, I take very good care of my teeth.

Except when I'm depressed. One way to tell I'm depressed is when I stop brushing my teeth. It doesn't happen all at once. No, I miss a brush here, a floss there, and slowly I stop caring. Then suddenly I notice I haven't brushed my teeth in a while, and bam, I know I'm depressed. Something like that.

Anyway, considering I have had several long depressive episodes in the last few years, I went to the dentist fully expecting to have a mouth full of problems. I know I don't floss enough, and those long times with only occasional brushing? Killer. Not to mention I live with my mother who is always having teeth trouble, and my sister complains of bad teeth, and my aunt. Honestly I thought I was doomed.

However, coming away from the dentist, I only have two small cavities in one tooth. Pretty good for someone with a fear of things going wrong with their teeth. Sure, I need to floss more (most people do!) to prevent more from forming, but on the whole the dentist was impressed with my dental health, considering the time there was for decay.

I certainly don't like going to the dentist (who likes getting poked in the gums with pointy metal objects?) but I am glad  I went. My teeth feel clean and shiny and like new again. I also know that there are some things I need to watch out for. Especially a kind of toothpaste recommended to me to help strengthen my enamel.

Next up is saving up the four hundred some dollars to get those little cavities filled. Joy.
I'll let you know how that works out.

'til then, ekobor, out!

No comments:

Post a Comment